Friday, August 29, 2008

Public Display of Emotion

Yesterday I cried a lot. A whole big lot. Not "sobs", per say. Just large amounts of tears. It was nice actually. I needed to do it.

Unfortunately, I ran into a bit of a timing issue though, because Matt had taken the whole day off so I could get out of the house. And naturally, being a stay at home mom, I didn't want to spend my "day off" at home. And I really wanted to go to the thrift store. But I also really wanted to cry. Large amounts of tears.

What's a girl to do? Well if you're me, you just combine them!

So there I was, cruisin' through the mounds of fantastic thrifts, all the while wiping tear after tear as they fell. It was a very freeing experience for me, actually. I highly recommend it.

It wasn't, however, the most relaxing experience for the poor strangers around me. It made them feel something they didn't expect to feel in the thrift store, I think.
Most of them just smiled a genuine, kind smile as they walked by. Some had a look of concern. Some had a slight look of confusion, as if they were intruding on my privacy, but knowing they were in public. Others looked straight at me, and asked if I was OK. (to which I would just say, "Yes, thank you! I'm just havin' a good cry.") Then there were those who were clearly uncomfortable and would quickly find something they had to see on the next isle over, as if to "give me my space".

I found all of this to be a beautiful thing. Not one person walked away unaffected by my tears. They all reacted differently, but each person reacted to it in some way. It was as if even though I was a stranger, my tears struck a chord in them. They cared in some way. Maybe they wondered what I was going through... what was wrong? Maybe they related to my pain... there own hurts crossing their minds. Maybe they thought I was crazy... Who knows? But I was enjoying the diversity in their reactions.

And then there was this one man... "Mr. Fix-it" ,we'll call him. He needed to DO something. It was like I had sprung a leak and he was pilfering around in his emotional tool box to find the right wrench to "tightn 'er up". It was more than obvious that he wasn't interested in baskets, but he sort of "faked interested" so he could work up the right time to talk to me. Or encourage me. Or fix me. I don't know his intention, but whatever it was, I thought it was very kind.

Here's how that conversation went...
him: "Wow. The Thrift Store can be a little overwhelming... well I just mean there's so much stuff everywhere!" (awkward laugh...)
me: "Yeah."(smile)
him: "Are you finding some good stuff in here?" (fidgets..)
me: "Oh yeah.. too much, as usual." (smile)
him: "Thrift stores are the best, aren't' they?" (pause)
me: "Yeah, I love it." (smile)
*pause*
him:"Well... (pointing finger) You have a good day. Oh, and I hope you find some more good stuff!" (walking away)
me:"OK! Thanks, you too" (smile)

And interestingly, he did end up finding the "right wrench" because after that short verbal encounter, my tears dried up.

I love the human heart. I enjoy watching how we identify with and relate to each other. I was connected to these strangers, for a thousand unknown reasons, because of the public shedding of tears. I found it to be a good moment.

But maybe you had to be there...

Peace, Love, & all that Jazz....

8 comments:

Michelle said...

What a good free day :) That made me smile. That's so true how we all relate to pain especially. I mean if you had been angry you would have gotten some different responses. HA! It makes me want to sing that coke song..."I'd like to buy the world a coke..." and we could all join hands and walk down a big hill together like they did in the commercial. Yay for humanity! And for you.

Rachel Garcia, CD(DONA) said...

I love your openness. I think that is so true about all the responses you got.. especially mr. fix it. You never know when to ask and when to leave someone alone.. well I guess the Holy Spirit gives direction.

Im glad you were able to get your cry out.

Chris and Ashley said...

What a nice blog. Your freedom is an inspiration to me :0). I'm so glad you were able to git yo cry on! I'll bet that you helped Mr. Fix-it feel like he accomplished something by helping you and that probably blessed him!

allison said...

I recently sat in Starbucks by myself with tears flowing hoping no one was watching me. But if they were watching me, how dare they not try to cheer me up by offering to buy me another round of chai tea! I'm glad you had such a sweet time.

Missy said...

I am impressed with your public display of emotion. It is real and vulberable, plus people can read through a fake smile in an instant.

Hope you got some really good crap at the thrift store, while you where letting your crap out!

Missy said...

Yeah, i just read that....I'm saying "WHAT" too!

Amanda said...

Good.

Good grief. Good day out. Good for you. Good for them. Good for him.

Good post.

It was good.

:)

Marsha said...

Yes, there are days like that, when nothing else will do but free flowing tears. And it's so comforting to know that He cares about each tear and stores it in a bottle. How much He loves and cares for us!