Wednesday, September 03, 2008

"Raindrops Keep Fallin on My Head"

Wait... did I say Raindrops? I meant chipmunks.

This is my life... so unpredictable and full of surprises. I hate surprises. Unless of course, it's something like, "Surprise! You won a million bucks!" Obviously I can handle that sort of shock with much more ease. I rather enjoy knowing what to expect. What I do not enjoy is "chipmunks falling out of the sky" kind of surprises. No one expects that kind of peculiar event. But you, my readers, should be informed of this possibility. It does happen! And it did...

Now this wouldn't necessarily bother me, if falling chipmunks landed somewhere (anywhere) outside of my personal space. When their landing pad is MY CHEST however, well... let's just say this is not an ideal situation for me.

After screaming like I had been set on fire and freaking out to the near brink of public indecency (I seriously considered ripping my shirt off in my panic), he scrambled down me (Eeeewwww!), and finally fell into the plant on the porch and scurried into the bushes.

Fairly nightmarish if you ask me.

In hindsight (which is obnoxiously sensible), my cat's intense, wide-eyed stare that was locked at the top of the door frame makes alot more sense. Alas!! He was hunting the chipmunk. The chipmunk that was teetering unstably over my kitchen door. The same chipmunk that lost his grip and fell like a grenade onto my chest, just as I stepped outside.

My nerves were shot to hell for hours. From that point on, every time so much as a string or a leaf or a child's sweet hand brushed my arm ever so gently, I flipped totally out.

It's going to be a slow process to full recovery, as I no longer can open the door without being haunted by the experience of a rodent teetering unstably above my head, waiting to hitch a ride on my chest to escape the inevitable doom that is Miles the cat. But progress is being made... I no longer feel that a snow suit is necessary to get me from the house to the van.

Expect the unexpected.

Life is full of surprises.

Peace, Love, & all that Jazz....








6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my word. How bizarre is real life? You can't make up stories this funny.

Or, can you?!

Michelle said...

That is so funny! One ran up Nick's arm too the other day. Remember the movie birds? I think there should be a CHIPMUNKS movie. Oh wait there is. Well, a scary version though. Poor thing. Although....it really makes me want to hide outside your door and throw fake ones at your head. WATCH OUT GIRL!!!! "Watch yourself. Show us what your working with." I don't think I know the words to that song but you know what I mean.

Kim said...

Good grief. I thought you were trying to make a point about something big happening. And then I stopped and was like, "wait, did a chipmunk REALLY fall on her?"

I would have to go to a mental institution if that happened to me.

Chris and Ashley said...

C'mon Cinco de Frio de Mio de Miles! He's got to do better than just stare at it as it teeters off the edge onto his mom! Tica is clearly having a bad influence.

allison said...

'My nerves were shot to hell for hours' This was awsome. I was laughing and then I laughed harder when I read Michelle's comment. Your life being full of surprises is not shocking - that is part of what makes you a great blogger! The only think I have to compare it to, was learning that roaches fly and seeing one fly right at me. It happened to me when I was a kid and it still haunts me to this day. Good luck recovering!

-C said...

crazy. bizarre. hilarious. i'm thinking i want to hang outside you're front door with a video camera to watch your reaction while michelle throws fake ones on your head. i love reading your crazy stuff.