Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Maybe I'm CraaZaaaY"

I'm beginning to think that the talented Gnarles Barkley wrote that song just for me. And it's becoming a known and expected fact around here, that all who are under my supervision just have to roll with it!!

First day of school... Everything was going just dreamtastically. We were on time, we took pictures, we were dressed, brushed, fed, clean and ready to meet the teachers!! So we amble on over to the first stop to meet Elliot's teacher and his new classmates. He was so nervous and brave. My big first grader! We laughed some, gave hugs & kisses, I took a picture of him at his desk, and out we strolled. "That was easy", I thought to myself.


Now, on to stop #2... Anderson's school. A much bigger deal, as he had to start a new school this year for 4th grade. As we near the front of the school, Anderson sees a sign at the entrance that reads, "Meet the Teacher 8/8, First day of school 8/11" to which his panic-stricken reply is , "MOM!! Meet the teacher was on Friday!! We MISSED it!!"
*Pause* I realized, in the same hysterical moment, that his words were the truth. "We did miss it", I said to myself. As this is settling into my brain, I also realized that we were in the middle of a frenzied drop-off line for the first day of school!! None if us have even seen the classroom or met the teacher! What the?!? Needless to say, I and my sweet son were now officially panicked.

So I (wide-eyed and on the verge of tears) look at my rock of a husband who says, "Why don't y'all just go on in, and I'll wait here and pick you up at the front". "Yes, Yes. Good idea", I think. (Breathe in... breathe out... He's right. Not a huge deal. Just breathe. And for Anderson's sake, don't cry!)

So off we go... Anderson, trying hard to "roll with it" as the late bell rings mockingly in the background while we climb out of the van...papers, toys, & old french fries fall onto the parking lot simultaneously. I look at my forgiving child and say, "Wow! Great start, huh?"as I side-hug him.

He grins.

We approach the classroom to find all the students sitting quietly at their desks, listening to the announcements on the intercom. Anderson freezes, as all the unfamiliar faces turn our direction. I wanted to run. I know he did. I thought quickly to myself, "We could go home and say there was a death in the family, causing us to miss 'meet the teacher' and the first day of school. That would ensure not only a good excuse , but sympathy as well... (added bonus)." But I realized the absurdity in that lesson, and decided to walk him in instead. I helped him find "the" seat, as it was obviously the only one left, introduced myself to the teacher, apologized, snapped a quick picture of Ando (wearing a smile that was understandably soaked in disappointment) and left.

Feeling overwhelmed and inadequate, I slinked into the van thinking, "I'll never see him again. I dropped him off in a foreign place full of strangers and I couldn't find that classroom again if I had too! And what if I have to? I hate that school!" Which actually translated, "He wasn't ready. I wasn't ready. We weren't ready!!! WE JUST CAME TO MEET THE TEACHER!!!!"

Then Matt, seeing the look on my face and reading my fears, put his hand on my arm and said something like, "It's OK, ya know. It's not a huge deal." And suddenly I could breathe in and out again. He was right. It was OK. It wasn't too big a deal.

It was very disappointing though. But all in all, it was OK.

I did ask the boys when they got home to make the faces of how they felt their first day went. Here's the shocking result... :)

Oh~ a big thanks to my husband for knowing me well enough to "curb my crazy", if you will. He's a good man.

And that, folks, concludes the longest post in the history of my blog. If you're still with me, let me suggest, that "Well... I think you're CraayZaaY!!!

Peace, Love, & all that Jazz....

9 comments:

Michelle said...

well, I won't deny being crazy. I love love loved their faces! I think mom is a synonym to guilt. I have to say, "Awwww, poor baby" again. And again I mean it in the nicest way. Kind of like, "Bless your heart" with an edge.

Stephanie said...

Awww...wow...I can just imagine that happening to me. Well, I guess now that you got that out of the way, it can only be downhill from here!
BTW, PLEASE change the URL on my blog address. There is some inappropriate stuff now on my original blog address (supposedly Blogger is working on getting rid of it). I do not want anyone going there. My new address is stuffofsteph.blogspot.com. Thanks!!!

Marsha said...

Bless your heart (that was for Michelle)!

I hope day 2 went better and he gave 2 thumbs up.

CanCan said...

Oh man this same thing happened to me! Except it was preschool, but I still felt like a (bag) of a mom! I don't think the teacher judged me though (did she?).

Maybe you could waltz in the next day with your nursing bra exposed and unbuckled, and sort of settle the score? That would distract her from your other "shortcomings".

Chris and Ashley said...

Oh no! Is it ok for me to think that that is a really funny story? At least it was just meet the teacher that you missed and not the first day of school :0)
We miss you guys!

Missy said...

Seriously, how do they expect anybody to keep things straight when it is different from one school to the next in the same school disctrict!

I applaud you. 3 cheers for Abbey! You made it on the first day whether you met the teacher earlier or not! Hip hip horray!

CanCan said...

Oh PS, I know exactly what Batman, rope ladder, and shark scene you are talking about. I think that is what makes Jojo love the movie so much. That shark is sooo lifelike? No, that's not the word...

allison said...

4th grade!!!! That is all I got out of this. I can not believe he is in 4th grade!!!! BTW, LOVE the flying pictures

Molly said...

So this guilty feeling never goes away huh? I felt for you big time, I mean I had tears welling in my eyes because that's exactly how I would have felt in that situation. You are such an awesome mom!